Avoid at all costs, Email Craziness. Emails that offend customers are toxic to your business and can ruin great relationships with your best customers. We have seen too many times business owners shake their heads in disbelief, left wondering why a customer has jumped ship and sailed off to a competitor.
Here are some tips on how to best manage your corporate email strategy:
- Keep your emails simple, short and to the point.
- Don’t argue in your email. If there is a contentious issue, call the customer or visit them. Avoid arguing at all costs, even if you are 100% right and the customer is 100% wrong. Just don’t argue. Your words have a thousand meanings and may be offensive without you knowing. Contentious or problematic issues are best dealt with in person or by phone.
- Keep your opinions to yourself. Unless asked, you should avoid sharing your opinions.
- Politics and religion are topics that should be avoided.
- Don’t get personal. You are a business entity dealing with a business entity.
Email craziness can damage great relationships. A three-page response to a disagreement of any kind may feel right. Unfortunately, these long contentious responses will only lose you customers.